
I really enjoyed the loving kindness exercise because it was an exercise that helped change your outer view of the world and how you deal with people on a daily basis.. The subtle mind exercise was different in that it seemed to be more focused on the inner individual and how our mind works. I especially liked the part about mental activity and where our mind goes when we let go of mental activity, and how thoughts naturally comes up, abides and then goes just as easy as it came. Its such a difference to observe thoughts and learn from them rather than try to control them.
Again with this exercise, like the loving kindness one, I did not have any frustration but was able to just relax and follow the experience. I really like that the exercise instructs that when the mind wanders to bring it back to focus on breathing, the stable foundation for these type of exercises.
Its amazing the different connections that can be made between mental and physical wellness once you actually understand their connection. It requires a balance of both to feel fully well. In my own personal life I know that when I am mentally stressed, exhausted or simply malnourished it shows in my physical fitness. I begin to feel tired, my mind is cloudy, usually I lose my appetite and have headaches. Before learning of the importance of the mind body connection I would have attributed the physical symptoms to a virus, cold, weather or some other physical cause. Now I have learned that it takes me maintain my mental and spiritual health to keep up my phys cal health. Now when I begin to feel those symptoms I take a few hours for myself to meditate, take a walk, be creative or read a good book. 9 times out of 10 it helps. I couldn't imagine living a life where these simple things were impossible to do.
Ashley,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading about your experience. I do believe these exercises will train our minds and we will be able to get the full benefits from them if we make them a regular part of our lives each week. Before the exercise actually started, Dacher suggested well encouraged us to practice the Loving Kindness one at least twice a week. I got more out of this week's practice than last weeks Loving Kindness.If you had to pick one to practice twice a week, would it be that? Or do you think you could benefit from another more than that one? Tara
Hi Ashley,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your post! You are so right, it really would be hard to imagine living a life where doing this simple things to help your regain focus were impossilbe to do. I have learned so much about how important it is to my overall wellness to be consciouss of my thoughts and actions. There are many times when life is so busy and the demands of our loved ones seem to overtake our lives that is it hard to remember to stop and listen to the stillness. More often than not, when I remember to stop and think before I act or just stop to breathe the answers I need are right in front of me. Keep your faith and keep writing your great blogs! :)
Blessings,
Jennifer