Sunday, September 26, 2010

Final Project!

I Introduction:

Why is it important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually and physically? What areas do you need to develop to achieve the goals you have for yourself?

Health and wellness professionals are people that others look up to in their development towards a more complex understanding and implementation of healthy living. I think that for that type of person wellness is essential, because how can we teach others what we can’t learn ourselves. Wellness is, as we have learned through this term, a balance of all different aspects of health including spiritual, mental and physical well being. Each of these areas is interconnected with the others and has a strong influence on maintaining overall health. When one area is neglected the others will surely suffer. Health and wellness professionals should understand this and in their desire to help other reach their full potential they must constantly be working towards their own. I do not believe there is a point where you can say “There! I’m completely well” but rather it is a constant learning process and a lifelong commitment, and who should understand this more than the ones leading others on the same path.
In terms of my own personal goals I need to work on all areas, but I think we all do. It is a growing process and I can never hope to know it all, and I wouldn’t want to. Most of all I would like to work on my spiritual health, and not in just religion but in all aspects of faith. I want to be able to give up my stress and struggles knowing that there is a plan and that I have a guide. Being human it’s a hard to give up control but I’d like to change that, and I believe it to be essential for me to flourish.

II Assessment:

How have you assessed your health in each domain? How do you score your wellness spiritually, physically, and psychologically?

Spiritual: For my spiritual wellbeing I would have to say 6.5 out of ten. I'm a bit disappointed in this area mainly because when I was younger I was so involved with my church and I really enjoyed the relationship not only with God but with others in my church as well. Recently my boyfriend has becoming more and more curious about church and I feel that I am not doing as much as I could to encourage that relationship. I still have faith and I still have the desire to get involved again, I just need to make that first step. I hope to begin that journey soon and to remember to keep it as a priority in life.

Physical: I rate my physical well being at 7 out of 10. I exercise several times a week, usually with different activities. Some days I will run, others hike a mountain or take a trip around the lake in the kayak. I think having a variety of ways to get exercise keeps me from becoming burnt out or bored. I love being outside and being healthy is a big part of being able to do those things I love. I eat well; I love to cook and try to cook healthy things with plenty of well-rounded nutrition. Learning our meditation techniques has certainly helped me as well, I usually do it in the mornings and I can certainly tell a big difference on days that I don't have time. Overall I'm pretty happy with my physical wellbeing and I know that my health will always be something I care about so it's nice to have the tools needed to keep it up.

Psychological: Before when we did this type of evaluation I had myself at a 5, but I happily re-evaluate my psychological well being and think I'm at a 8. I now take time to myself to do things like read, paint and write. My stress level is decreased significantly since that time which of course has really helped. I'm happy with my progress in communicating and in keeping my positive attitude even when others cant. This "new" attitude has really helped in all parts of my life. I can feel it changing my relationships with others in a good way.

III Goal development:

List at least one goal you have for yourself in each area, Physical, Psychological (mental health) and Spiritual
.

Physical: Even though I know I get exercise I would like to challenge myself to new tasks.

Psychological: I’m so happy that I met this goal that I set in our Unit 3 Blog but as always there is room for improvement and growth. While I did make the changes I wanted, I didn't do them through writing in a journal and that’s something I would still like to do.

Spiritual: I really would like to start going back to church again, hopefully my boyfriend and I can find one in the area that we both enjoy

IV Practices for personal health:

What strategies can you implement to foster growth in each of the following domains; Physical, Psychological, and Spiritual. Provide at least two examples of exercises or practices in each domain. Explain how you will implement each example.

Physical: I have just move (again) and right down the road, within walking distance is a yoga center. I have already picked up a schedule and I would like to start going at least once a week, starting Monday. I have started a new job, a mile down the road! In the winter time (and any other time it's nice to walk) I will walk to and from work. Last but not least living in the Mountains now gives me a unique opportunity to try and join the High Peaks Club. It's a challenge to hike the high peaks (46) of the Adirondack Mountains in New York. My boyfriend and I intend to start this fall!

Psychological: I will buy and start writing in my journal on a nightly basis, I think this will enable me to continue with the improvements I have already made so that I do not get stuck or stagnant. Also by writing lists and keeping goals written out I am more motivated to work towards and meet them.

Spiritual: It will not be my church, as I am now in NY instead of NC but I think that giving the effort to find another one that fits our changing needs will be something both fun and spiritually fulfilling. I also would like to start reading my Bible again and as my boyfriend doesn't know many of the stories think is also something we can do together and grow together.

V Commitment:

How will you assess your progress or lack of progress in the next six months? What strategies can you use to assist in maintaining your long-term practices for health and wellness?

I’m sure there are many ways to assess my progress, or lack of but I think the simple way is usually the best way. I intend on printing out this assessment, highlighting my goals and putting it on the cork board in the kitchen. The same one with the grocery lists, pictures, to-do lists and coupons. I think by having it in plain sight every day I will be encouraged and motivated to follow my goals and to reach them in a timely fashion. Also I intend on sharing them with my boyfriend (who is now my fiancĂ©) so that he can be my partner and encourage me in all parts of life.
I don’t know what strategies will assist me in maintain my long term practices; I only know that it is a lifestyle and not a list of strategies, not a diet and not a book to read. I know that I want to be healthy; I am healthy and will continue to do things that help me to flourish in all parts of wellness. I hope that by being able to share my progress and knowledge that I will never forget the lessons I have learned.


Resources:
Dacher, Elliott. (2006). Integral Health: The Path to Human Flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA: Basic Health Publications.

Schlitz, M. (2005). Consciousness & Healing: Integral Approaches to Mind-Body Medicine. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier Churchill Livingston Publications

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,

    I completely agree with you that a wellness professional is someone who others can look up to and seek advice from. It is so essential that each person in the wellness professional incorporate all aspects of health into their own lifestyle and teachings. This course have provided us with excellent tools to implement various activities to promote our own wellness in the future. Good luck to you on achieving your future goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, I too believe that it is important for wellness professionals to develop fully in each of these areas. Not doing so doesn't allow them to help client's to the best of their abilities. I think we all have areas in our lives that needs a little work on but it is up to us to work on developing that area. This course has been a blast and it has taught us all so much that will benefit us in both or personal and professional lives. Best wishes to you and may God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley,

    I loved your suggestion of printing out the final project and highlighting the goals you have set for each area of your integral development and posting it on the cork board in the kitchen! What a great way to visually be reminded of your goals and a great motivator!! I agree, health professionals must be able to experience growth in all of these areas we wrote about for this project to be credible and to be able to give advice on how to improve on each area of wellness to our clients. I know you will be successful at this. Good luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ashley,
    Its great that you live such a healthy lifestyle by exercising often during the week. You are a good role model. I hope that you encourage your boyfriend to develop a relationship with God if that is what he is "searching" for it really is wonderful. You have a lot of great ideas Ashley, I will take your advice and print my project out. These next few months are usually when I gain ten pounds, it would be nice to avoid that this year! LOL. Take care and good Luck in your courses.
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete