Thursday, September 9, 2010

Unit 7 Reflection


Hi Everyone!

Really getting down to crunch time, I can't believe we're in week 7 already! Our exercise this week was difficult for me, but I think it has more to do with things going on in life right now not so much the actual activity. I had trouble pinpoint a specific person to use in my imagery and so I tried to use a combination of people. I'm hoping that when I have a chance to go back and do this activity again I will be able to focus and have a clear image of the person I want to be my guide. I did enjoy the relaxation and it helps to calm and clear my mind so that I can start the day with a positive attitude. This class couldn't have come at a better time in my life, the lessons in mindfulness and mediation have really helped me get though the stress. My spiritual wellness is not only intact but it is has flourished. I plan on continue with the readings we have don't and the exercises so that I can continue to build and grow.


The saying "one cannot lead another where one has not gone himself" is true in so many different ways. It seems similar to the phrase about how you cant know someone without walking a mile in their moccasins. You cannot ask another to do something you are unwilling to do and to truly gain respect and have the ability to help and heal you need to have had the same experience. Health is something that can be scary for people and so to be able to trust your health and wellness professional is very important. We need to respect, trust and be able to share with them so that we can heal. I believe that we do have that obligation to clients to develop our own integral health if we want to instruct, teach and help them. We as professionals and as people, friends and family cannot expect someone to listen if we cant walk the path first.

3 comments:

  1. Ashley,
    I have been stressed out lately also, and this class has really helped me cope with it. When I get time to meditate(rarely), I find my whole day goes a lot better.
    I agree with what you said, that we need to respect, trust, and be able to share with professionals for healing to occur. It is really hard to believe what they are advising if they do the exact opposite of their advice. They need to believe what they are teaching.
    Good post!
    Selena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ashley,
    I had that same problem with this unit. I kept focusing on three different people and bouncing back and forth. I'm so glad your getting a lot out of this class. I am too, it really does help you tune into your own thoughts. I think we get so busy as time goes on that we forget about taking care of our own wellness. Have a good Sunday!
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, I like that you said you can't ask someone to do something that you, yourself aren't willing to do. The nerves of some people. I wouldn't dare ask someone to do something if I know it's something I wouldn't do. A lot of times people try and take advantage of a person's kindness and will do things like this. I am the type of person that wouldn't put someone in an uncomfortable position just to make myself happy. Great post!

    ReplyDelete