
Hi class!
I know this post comes a little early but as I am finally moving next week I wanted to get a jump start on my school work. Not to mention I also have my boyfriends family staying with us for a few days I'm trying to prepare myself for a hectic week. Since I'm taking three classes this term things can become a bit overwhelming.
Journey On:
First off, ahhh that was the perfect way to begin what I was worried was going to be an extremely overwhelming week. This exercise was such a simple but effective relaxation technique that can be used virtually anywhere. It is one that I willl certainly be using in the future. I have never heard of an autogenetic training technique before but the idea that we have the ability to make any part of our body comfortable just by suggestion certainly would go right in line with integral medicine and the belief that true wellness comes from within.
I certainly believe that often times a experience is simply a mind over matter obstacle and this is a great way to demonstrate that even in the most stressful situation, where the body is physically exhausted we have the ability to take control, relax, calm and energize ourselves to get back up and take on the world. Its as simple as believing and acting on that belief.
Now I know that sometimes there are so many things going on that to take even 5 minutes to do an exercise like this just seems impossible but for me its those little moments like taking a shower, starting dinner, laying down for bed that I utilize for relaxation.
Whew. Good start to what I've decided is going to be a good week.
I thought this picture perfectly fit my mood right now!
Hey! First off, I think your blog looks very nice! The leaves remind me of a trail I LOVE to run on during the fall. They bring back the feeling of the cold crisp air, the slight breeze, but refreshing scent of fall and relief through the run. I too have a hectic crazy week. I am leaving for my sister's wedding tomorrow and won't be back until Monday. Wheew. So, I too am trying to get a jump on my homework. When I read that you are taking three classes, I took a deep breath. I considered taking three, and I thought I had it hard just taking my two classes! :-P Anyway, hang in there!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you in regards to the relaxation 'Journey On'. I learned about the Autogenic relaxation technique last term. I found it very interesting and one I would like to use more often, and it will definitely train the mind, because we have to learn to focus not only on the suggestion but also on doing what suggestion is telling us to feel and do. In our text, Daucher talks about training our mind this week. I think practicing Autogenic relaxation technique could help with that training. Good luck with your week! I'll check back in with you later! :)
Tara
Aww thank you so much! I know exactly what feeling you're describing and I love it too, especially in this HOT weather. Sounds like you are going to have a busy weekend, but weddings are always fun so I'm sure it'll be a great time. I'm not too sure how taking three classes is going to go but we'll see. I just wanted to stay busy these next few months because my boyfriend is leaving and I didn't want too much time on my hands to think about it. But thanks for the encouragement!
ReplyDeleteHi Ashley. Nice job on your post. You seemed to really "get" the exercise and feel the benefits of it. It's amazing what the mind and a power of suggestion can accomplish! Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteBritt
Ashley,
ReplyDeleteI am a firm believer of the autogenic training technique. I learned it last term in my stress managemnent class. It came in handy last month when I ran my very first race. It was a 5K and I thought I was going to die after the first 1/2 mile. By changing my breathing, visulaizing myself running, and just telling myself to stay relaxed and keep going; I was able to run the whole way with just stopping once to tie my shoe. I am amazed at how strong the mind-body connection really is. Great post and pictures!
Hi Ashley,
ReplyDeleteIt seems like you really got alot out of the exercise. Taking just the few extra minutes to relax can be so beneficial especially when you know its going to be hectic for a while. Hopefully you got through the boyfriends family staying with you all right.... I know that I always found those situations challenging to say the least. I wish I had known about these techniques when I had to deal with my ex's mom! LOL!
Ashley, almost every one of my classes here at Kaplan have been very stressful. This is the first course I have taken that has been relaxing for me. I truly enjoyed the relaxation excercise because it made me feel very calm and relaxed.
ReplyDelete