Thursday, August 19, 2010

Unit 4 Reflection


For the past week I have been in beautiful upstate New York visiting family and if anyone needs a relaxing vacation, this is the place to do it! I really enjoyed our exercise this week. I feel like for someone who lacks patience for people (which I sometimes do) this is the perfect way to change. Paired with the crashing of waves the guided practice is particularly visual and emotional at the same time. I didn't find this exercise difficult and would certainly recommend it, especially for someone in need of guidance with in improving their patience in a stressful situation.


Researches say that the mind can be strengthened with regular training and practice. There are several different ways to get this work out for the mind. Things like memory loss, sluggish thinking and mental blocks can all be helped with a mental workout. Some believe that these are things that come with age, it's inevitable, but more and more we are finding out that this simply is not true. There are things that we can do to keep both our body and mind in shape for years to come.

There are exercises to improve just about anything you need. You can improve sight, smell/taste, memory, hearing, touch, verbal skills and the list goes on. Simply not taking short cuts in daily life can be a form of a mental workout. When going to the grocery store use a mental list, have a word calender, do puzzles to pass the time, memorize directions instead of using a GPS. These are all simply things, but modern technology has made many forms of a mental workout obsolete. The shortcuts in life are usually not as beneficial as learning the hard way.

http://www.bellydoc.com/articles/article7.htm

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,
    Love the pic. Did you take that yourself while in NY? Looks like you were on a boat? It's beautiful! The perfect place to relax and regroup. I agree with you that technology has really had a negative impact on us. We don't have the memory capability that people used to have. I am forever writing notes to myself (I may have a hand in keeping Post-It notes in business lol). The problem is we get spoiled. I've tried to memorize stuff, but then I kick myself when I get home from the grocery store and I've forgotten the milk or the eggs (or both...) and I don't have the energy to pile the kids back in the car to go get them. Sometimes it's easier to rely on the list I guess. I'll have to find other ways to get my mental exercise in lol.

    ~Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley. I'm glad you had a good experience with this week's exercise. I think there were valuable parts that could prove beneficial. I agree that it does take consistent "working out" of the mind in order to stay in shape and that loss of mental sharpness is not something that we necessarily have to go through. Good points!
    Britt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay,

    Thanks! Yes I did take that picture while in NY, we were on a boat fishing and it was quite relaxing. It was amazing how just in those 10 days, away from almost all technology (still needed my computer) how much more free I felt. I was learning the town without a GPS or Mapquest, no notes, lists, cell phones etc. I agree that sometimes it is easier to rely on a list lol but I'm sure you can find other ways to exercise your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley,
    Your picture is amazing! It looks like a postcard and it is certainly someplace that looks like you can relax. I think that we do rely on technology a little too much to help us keep track of our schedules, lists, notes for later, telephone #'s and the list goes on and on. LOL I believe that you need to keep your mind fresh and constantly challegened. Some kids have troubles coming back from summer break due to the fact that they stopped their usual learning methods. They need to strengthen their brains during the summer to help their mental workout strong. We could all benefit from a mental workout. The elderly need to keep their minds alert. Playing cards, crossword puzzles, and scrable are just a few ways that I can think of that would help with a mental workout.

    ReplyDelete